Important Changes to WordPress 5.0 for Pool Marketing Site Clients
There are about to be some major changes for the 75 million people who run a website on WordPress 5.0. As of Nov. 19, 2018, WordPress will be offering its long anticipated upgrade to WordPress 5.0.
While this change will affect many of our Pool Marketing Site clients, we want you to know that we are here to help prepare you for the upgrade in order to achieve a seamless transition between the old and new versions.
What Is Changing
There are a handful of small changes in store with version 5.0, such as how the platform will handle releases and improvements to the WordPress Rest API. The most significant change, however, is the Gutenberg Editor, a block-based UI which will drastically change to how users create content on WordPress.
So what does the addition of the Gutenberg Editor mean to you?
It means you’ll need to get acquainted with an entirely new editing experience. It is also likely that page builder plugins and tools may lose some relevance immediately or over time with the Gutenberg Editor.
But fear not, you can begin that introduction now with a simple plugin, and we encourage you to test the waters to get a feel for these new changes.
What to Do Before November 19
- Pool Marketing Site Clients Don’t Need to Worry. If you are a Pool Marketing Site Monthly Maintenance subscriber, you don’t need to take any action. The website testing process has already begun, and we’ll update your website for you once it has passed our rigorous performance quality criteria.
- Have a Plan in Place. Have a plan in place prior to upgrading your site. If you have a website team be sure to get in touch with them before the update.
- Back Up Everything. Once users upgrade to WordPress 5.0 you won’t be able to step back in time to an earlier version. Perform a backup on everything to ensure that no critical information is lost in the process. There are several WordPress backup plugins available for you to use. Because WordPress 5.0 is going to be much different from previous versions, it’s a good idea to also backup all of your files and your MySQL database.
We invite you to sign up for our monthly maintenance plan today, so we can complete the backup for you prior to the WordPress update.
DIY Tips to Prepare for WordPress 5.0
There are many tips available to prepare you for WordPress 5.0. One of the most informative ways to ready yourself for the changes is to watch our webinar here.
Below are just a few things we at the Pool Marketing Site think you’ll benefit most from during this transition.
- Test with the Gutenberg plugin first. WordPress 5.0 is not the editor you’re used to. Gutenberg is currently available with WordPress 4.9.8. Have yourself or your team play around with it before upgrading so you’ll know how to make updates and edits.
- Modular blocks will replace everything in 5.0. This includes widgets. Take some time to get comfortable with this system.
- Upgrading to 5.0 is irreversible. Make sure all upgrades are complete beforehand so that no information is lost.
- WordPress 5.0 may break themes and plugins. It’s likely that all plugins that interact with WordPress editor (such as Yoast SEO and Advance Custom Fields) will be affected.
- Upgrade to WooCommerce 3.5.1+ before upgrading to WordPress 5.0. This will help you avoid breaking changes.
- When it doubt, wait it out. It isn’t mandatory for WordPress users to upgrade to 5.0 immediately. Take your time familiarizing yourself with Gutenberg and have an adoption plan in place before you take the plunge.
We take our job at Pool Marketing Site very seriously, and when big changes are coming that could affect our customers, we remain dedicated to ensuring you’re taken care of. Again we’d like to stress to our current subscribers that no action is required on your part. The team here at Pool Marketing Site is handling the transition process to ensure that your website continues to run smoothly and without any interruption.
However, if you aren’t a monthly maintenance subscriber and would like to learn more about our subscription service and how your pool and spa business can benefit, we welcome you to click here or to give us a call at (281) 569-4370 for more information.